Friday, November 19, 2010

Teaching Post-Miami: Part Two

I've hinted a few times that I returned to the US over fall break and had had a few interviews... and I'm happy to write that I just committed to Teach For America as a member of the 2011 corps!

I probably will not continue this blog once I start TFA because I'm totally identifiable (although there is at least one other Berlin Fulbrighter who is doing TFA next year!), but I do plan to write a few posts about the application process and other TFA-related thoughts between now and then. :)

The latest My Gymnasium story: I had another run-in with German bluntness today. I was sitting in the teacher's room, and a teacher whom I had never met or seen walked up to me. She said, "Oh, I recognize you from the website! But you're much prettier in person than I had expected from your picture." Um, thanks, I guess? It's better than being much uglier than my picture, right?

Edited to add another My Gymnasium story: on a test, a student declared that he is a "terist" and needs information about the most popular tourist attractions in New York. I might have to do a quick spelling and pronunciation lesson so that none of my students get detained if they ever visit the US...

No comments:

Post a Comment