Monday, April 4, 2011

Thinking Like a Teacher

I TAed for four semesters in college and coached gymnastics for six years, so even before I got to Germany, I was decent at creating an authoritative presence when it was my turn to lead class or present a project.

Now, I don't just play teacher; I find myself thinking like a teacher.

Last month, some of the 10th graders were so excited to say hello. Really excited. In retrospect, suspiciously excited. I stopped and chatted with a circle of guys for a few minutes before heading to my next class. When I walked through the door, I realized that I had tape connecting my head to my bag. 

The next day, I greeted the guys with: "Oh, hey! I have a really silly question: did I have tape on my head when I was talking to you yesterday?"

It was a simple yes/no question, ne?

One of them responded, "It wasn't us! Ms. A, do you really think we did it? We wouldn't do that! We like you! We would never put tape on your head!"

Guilty!! Ha! I gave them a knowing smirk and left it at that. Good thing they used masking tape and not a stickier tape, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment