Monday, July 18, 2011

According to my students...

My math kiddos recently filled out a classroom culture survey, and here is what they had to say (grammar and spelling left intact):

What has your teacher done to help you behave?
- She motivates us
- My teacher has made us to be silent by counting 5-0.
- She has taught us to respect, raise our hand.
- Ms. (A) has taught us to respect others when they are speaking.
- She has givin us warnings of how to behave and told us of what the conquences of not behaving
- Class Room Rules
- tell me how to behave
- She gives us rules.
- giving us warnings
- She has put a rule list on a poster.

I believe I can and will achieve the goal for this class. -- Can you explain your answer? Why did you select that response?
- because I want to pass this class to move on
- I selected this response because I know I could do a great job at math.
- I chose that answer because she helps us a lot.
- I believe I can achieve my goal for this class with confidence.
- I believe I can achieve the goal because my family pushes us hard enough to get a good career and future
- Because I know what I want to be.

If you do enjoy coming to class, what has this teacher done to make you feel that way?
- because she encourages us
- I enjoy coming because I enjoy math.
- She make class fun and we enjoy it.
- Fun educational activities.
- She has made it funn and cool than the other classes
- Because it is really fun in this class and etc.
- I enjoy math alot.
- I like it cause it helps me learn But fun.
- She makes math fun.
- Giving me College Bound Bucks.
- the teaching is fun

How do you know whether or not this teacher truly cares about you?
- because she is always taking care of you
- I know because my teacher wants me to be very smart.
- She is equal to us all.
- Go's over lessons slowly an carefully.
- I know because they give you a nice and good attitude and like you know because they are trying hard enough to help you learn
- She helps me in my work.
- They always check up on us.
- Because I just do.
- She goes through things slowly, and step by step
- You could see that smile on their face.
- she helps explain things better
(Editorial comment: not sure why they're talking about me in the plural. ELL quirk?)

Optional: Please use this extra space to complete any answers to questions or to share more thoughts or feelings you have about this class or this teacher.
- Ms (A) you are a good and awesome teacher I meet during the summer. :)
- Hi!! :D
- I really like math.
- :D Hello!!
- Hello! :)

2 comments:

  1. Hello there! Just a quick note to first say how incredibly helpful your blog has been. I'm about to head out for a Fulbright ETA in Baden-Wuerttemberg and reading about your experiences has kept me a bit more sane amongst all the preparations! So, thank you. :)
    Also - congrats on Teach for America!
    And a quick question (of course) - what was your schedule like at your school? M-F a few hours a day? 3 days a week?
    Be well and have an exciting new year!
    Signed, a fellow ETA

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! :)

    Schools should give you at least one day off each week. I had Monday off, and I worked with three classes on Tuesday, three classes on Wednesday, three classes on Thursday, and four classes on Friday. (I chose to work 13 hours because I liked all of the classes.) I was usually at school for 4-5 hours/day because not all of my classes were back-to-back.

    ReplyDelete