Saturday, August 28, 2010

Quick Preparation Update

I'm down to 6 days before the big departure, and I am totally not ready.


I emailed the head of the language department at the Gymnasium and asked for a little more information about the dress code and bringing DVDs (they want me to start a film club after school). Apparently, my clothes "shouldn't be too conservative and not 'too sexy'." Yes, the word 'sexy' actually appeared in the email. (Does "not too conservative" = jeans? I think it does.)

To make myself feel better about my serious slacking issue, here's what I have accomplished lately:
- Emailed 21 WGs to set up times to visit their apartments. (Five responses, four rejected me right off the bat, and one told me to call when I got to Berlin-- in other words, a polite rejection because I won't be in Berlin for two more weeks.)
- Took brother to pet store to buy a mouse for his snake and ended up with a cat in my lap about 30 seconds after entering the store.
- Found brother's snake after G got distracted while feeding it and left it in the bathtub.
- Bought not-too-conservative and not-too-sexy clothes. (Thanks, KC!)
- Baked chocolate biscotti and Pfeffernuesse (like gingerbread cookies) with KC. Failed at making tempeh chili.


On the agenda for the next few days:
- trek down to Oxford to see friends and to ask for letters of recommendation
- figure out how I'm going to get my coats to Germany
- decide if it's worth investing in a larger suitcase. I have one regular sized one and a mini one-- not sure the mini one is going to be useful in dragging a year's worth of things abroad.
- set up at least three appointments to see rooms at WGs. I swear, I am not procrastinating. This finding housing thing has been a disaster.

No comments:

Post a Comment