Thursday, October 28, 2010

Having One of Those Days...

As the title says, I am having one of those days where I am sucking at everything that is not controlled by my autonomic nervous system... and my parasympathetic nervous system isn't working nearly as well as it should! (Did I mention that I'm a nerd?)

Let's start from the beginning.

Germans seem to believe in starting construction early in the day. I woke up at about 6:30 AM because they were jackhammering away across the street, so I stuck in earplugs and went back to bed. Bad idea. I always set my alarm, but usually, I wake up when Dumpling wakes up. His school starts at 8:30, and he's pretty loud when he starts to move around. Today, I did not wake up to his thudding and crashing; I woke up at 11:24 AM. I was supposed to help in an 8th grade class at 10:55 AM. I had set my alarm for 8:00 PM (I have an American alarm clock).

I ran around my room crazily, managed to think clearly enough to grab a DVD, my notebook, and my train ticket, and was even awake enough to notice when Puppy scratched a hole in my jeans. (I went back, changed into new jeans, and now am refusing to play with Puppy for the rest of the day because I'm really annoyed; it was my favorite pair.) I called My Mentor (it turns out that she isn't actually my Betreuungslehrerin, but whatever) twice and eventually texted her a run-on sentence like: "Handy geht nicht, weil ich auf die U-Bahn bin, aber ich habe meinen Wecker fuer abends statt morgens angemacht und moechte mich zu Frau B dafuer entschuldingen, ich komme gleich, bin schon in Wedding" (translation: cell phone isn't working because I'm on the U-Bahn, but I set my alarm for PM instead of AM and wanted to apologize to Mrs. B for that, I'll be right there, I'm already in Wedding.)

I burst into the teacher's room, discovered that no one was there because it was in the middle of the 5th period, and decided that I had time to eat something. I went to the cafeteria, bought a roll with cheese and cucumber, and returned to the teacher's room, where I immediately dropped the cheese and cucumber on the floor. Of course, My Mentor was in the adjacent room when I grumped my way in and threw away the cheese with an utterly dour look on my face.

Then, My Mentor's class was crazy and disruptive for the entire double hour, and it probably didn't help that I still wasn't functioning at a very high level.

And... I got home and discovered that Puppy had eaten one of my apartment-mate's boots.

The only thing that went successfully was apologizing to Frau B, who said it was fine and looked amused that I managed to sleep until almost 11:30. It helped that she knew that I'm currently suffering from a mega case of jet lag. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment