Tuesday, May 24, 2011

19 Days

Realization of the Day: I have eight days left at My Gymnasium and 19 days left in Berlin.

I can deal with the 19 days in Berlin part; I like being in a vibrant city, but I'll get that in California, too. Eight days at My Gymnasium, though... I'm not ready for that. How did this happen?!

Unfortunately, I have to leave Berlin two weeks before the end of the school year because of Teach For America conflicts. (Fortunately, a lot of classes also will be traveling or doing internships, so it doesn't really affect My Gymnasium.) It doesn't help that my schedule is a blob of canceled school days. I have unterrichtsfrei on Thursday and Friday because of mündliche Prüfungen. Next week, Thursday and Friday are also unterrichtsfrei because of Himmelfahrt. Monday is my free day, but I'll go in once to say goodbye to one of the 10th grade classes.

I'm ready to work more than 13 hours/week. I'm also ready to explain concepts in my native language; stumbling through explanations of grammar rules in German pushed my language skills to the limit. (At times, they pushed my English skills more than my German skills!)

On the other hand, I'm not ready to leave Berlin, my Berlin friends, My Gymnasium, and the WG dogs. I'm definitely not ready for my German to atrophy immediately upon arrival at O'Hare.

I'm terrified about having my own classroom and teaching an entirely new subject... and I have to be effective right from the get-go.

Deep breath. No more caffeine today.

No comments:

Post a Comment